Every few weeks I get a craving for Indian food; normally it’s authentic take out, frozen Trader Joes or this Indian Butter Chicken that pops up on our weekly menu.
Indian is good whether it’s sunny and hot outside, hello spicy heat, or even when it’s cold and chilly.
The weather doesn’t really have an affect when you should and could make this incredible dish.
With the recent turn in weather, it feels like now is a better time then any to make a quick “curry” like dish and warm up with this chicken and rice.
Fall like weather and even winter days have me craving curry dishes more and more.
Whether it’s Thai curry or this simple Indian Butter Chicken, I am always game for curry and rice.
Personal preference in Indian food for me is always something with plenty of sauce to cover the chicken and the rice, garlic naan bread and mango chutney.
I tend to refuse to eat Indian food any other way, even when it’s homemade.
There simply is NOT a better way to do it. And trust me I’ve tried all of the options out there, take my word for it!
When I often talk about my love and passion for indian food (aka Ambs Loves Food, duh) I find so many people who have never tried Indian food before or even tasted a little bit of it. I then take the opportunity to convince them on how good it actually can be, my absolute all time favorite is chicken tikka masala.
If I’m talking to you today, this is your chance to find a way into Indian food and stay for a while because this recipe is perfection. It’s an easy way to make something that is flavored like Indian food but doesn’t take hours to simmer like the traditional curry my mom makes (which I’ll save for another day because that is also literal perfection). You get all the tastes and all the benefits here without all the work.
As I like to normally say #WIN!
This Indian Butter Chicken recipe focuses on a simple tomato cream sauce with spices to punch up the flavor.
Cilantro garnishes the top and brings in the flavor to round out the whole meal.
Serve this with an easy naan (I buy Trader Joes frozen naan bread) slathered with a homemade garlic butter and heated in the oven, mango chutney (also a favorite Trader Joes must have) and white jasmin rice.
- 1 1/2 LB CHICKEN BREASTS
- 1/2 CUP NON FAT PLAIN GREEK YOGURT
- 1 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE
- 2 TEASPOONS GARAM MASALA
- 1/2 TEASPOON CHILI POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON CUMIN
- 1 TEASPOON GINGER POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON GARLIC, MINCED
- 1 TABLESPOON VEGGIE OIL
- 1 CUP TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 TABLESPOON WHITE SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON SALT
- 3/4 CUP HEAVY CREAM
- NAAN BREAD
- MANGO CHUTNEY
- JASMIN RICE
- CUT CHICKEN INTO 1 INCH PIECES, SEASON WITH S&P
- PLACE CHICKEN IN A BOWL AND ADD GREEK YOGURT, LEMON JUICE, GARAM MASALA, CHILI POWDER, CUMIN, GINGER POWDER, GARLIC, AND TOSS ALL TOGETHER
- REFRIGERATE COVERED FOR AN HOUR OR MORE, NO MORE THAN 6 HOURS
- HEAT VEGGIE OIL IN A LARGE PAN OVER HIGH HEAT, TOSS IN CHICKEN
- COOK CHICKEN UNTIL A SLIGHT CRUST IS FORMED FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES
- POUR IN TOMATO SAUCE, SUGAR, AND SALT TO TASTE, STIR
- LET SIMMER ON LOW FOR 15 MINUTES
- POUR IN CREAM AND STIR UNTIL FULLY COMBINED
- GARNISH WITH CILANTRO AND SERVE WITH NAAN BREAD AND JASMIN RICE
Much love & flavor today,