We finally joined the party and made these amazing Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies from Alison Roman’s Cookbookl
These have been all over the internet; from Instagram to Pinterest and we finally had a free Sunday to pop these in the oven and give this recipe a whirl.
When we say perfection, we mean these cookies are just that, absolute perfection.
Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies is a long title but a necessary one to explain these cookies.
The shortbread batter is made easily with a hook attachment and mixer. Two types of decadent chocolate are cut into chunks coarsely and roughly, the best pairing of milk chocolate and semi sweet chocolate. Next, the batter is rolled into logs and chilled.
Finally, the logs are washed in egg and rolled in turbinado cane sugar to give the outside a crispy crunchy texture and then sliced into cookies.
Baking these cookies is the best part, they don’t rise or spread like regular cookies because of the dense shortbread cookie dough but the aroma is incredible that they create while baking.
You’re then greeted with the most unique cookie experience of a crunchy shortbread cookie with the extra crunchy cane sugar outer edge.
The inside remains soft and crumbly and absolutely delicious.
Not to mention, these are way better once cooled. We’re the type of people that can’t wait for the cookies to cool and then we burn our mouths it’s so hot. But, these are different, these cookies are so much better once cool. That’s when you get the real experience of the crunch versus the crumble, trust us.
AU loves chocolate chip cookies, he actually loves them with a passion but claims he doesn’t actually like dessert.
These Chocolate Chip Cookies are his ultimate favorite but after he tasted these Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies he fell in love with a new kind of chocolate chip cookie all over again.
- 255 GRAMS SALTED BUTTER, COLD (2 1/2 STICKS)
- 1/2 CUP GRANULATED SUGAR
- 1/4 CUP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2 1/2 CUPS FLOUR
- 4 OUNCES SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED INTO CHUNKS
- 2 OUNCES MILK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED INTO CHUNKS
- 1 LARGE EGG, BEATEN WEL
- TURBINADO SUGAR (SUGAR IN THE RAW)
- SEA SALT
- IN A STAND MIXER WITH THE HOOK ATTACHMENT COMBINE BUTTER AND BOTH SUGARS ON MEDIUM SPEED
- MIX UNTIL FLUFFY, SCRAPE DOWN WITH A SPATULA
- WITH THE MIXER ON LOW, ADD IN 1/2 CUP FLOUR AT A TIME UNTIL FULLY COMBINED
- ADD CHOCOLATE CHUNKS AND MIX SLIGHTLY
- IF NECESSARY COMBINE DOUGH WITH LEFTOVER FLOUR AND CHOCOLATE CHUNKS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL, KNEAD UNTIL NO FLOUR REMAINS
- SEPARATE DOUGH INTO 2 PIECES
- ROLL EACH INTO A LOG (ABOUT 6” LONG AND 2” WIDE) ON PLASTIC WRAP
- CHILL FOR 2 HOURS IN THE FRIDGE WRAPPED
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES, REMOVE COOKIE DOUGH LOGS
- BRUSH EGG OVER EACH LOG AND ROLL IN TURBINADO SUGAR IN A SHALLOW BOWL
- SLICE EACH LOG INTO COOKIES, ABOUT 1/2” WIDE
- SPRINKLE EACH COOKIE WITH SEA SALT
- BAKE ABOUT 1” APART ON PARCHMENT PAPER FOR 15-25 MINUTES UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN ON THE EDGES
Much love from cookie heaven,