Saltines are the best base to this Salted Cracker Toffee dessert.
Welcome to your weekend “baking” sesh recipe.
This easy four ingredient recipe is so yummy and is the
perfect crunchy chocolate snack you need this weekend.
My favorite part about this is the combination of all the flavors.
The salted cracker base combined with the sweet creamy soft caramel layer topped with melted
semi sweet chocolate works in all the right ways and makes your mouth water with every bite.
I love that the caramel is a homemade one in this version of the recipe.
Melted caramels are often used to make a luscious creamy caramel but
this one is basic and made from scratch with just brown sugar and butter.
(I love a good pour shot! Kind of obsessed with those lately.)
There’s a trick to getting this caramel to form perfectly. Time boiling is extremely
important because if it doesn’t boil for long enough it does not create the
sticky tacky caramel consistency or turn golden brown in color.
You also then bake the caramel to get it even more golden brown and to form on the saltines.
I’m salivating looking at these photographs and thinking of all the flavors.
Pull this recipe out for quick and speedy dessert on the fly. The ingredients are so basic that you
would mostly like have all of them already. And the recipe comes together quickly.
Once the bars are cut or broken they look like you put in a lot more effort than you really did.
What a win win situation.
Not to mention who in the world doesn’t like the combination of salt, caramel, and chocolate.
You just HAVE to make this or I will be upset. Delicious, tasty, easy toffee; yes please!
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Turn oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay out 40 saltines on a sprayed rubber baking mat in a baking tray.
- Combine butter and sugar in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Keep mixing and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Turn to low and let bubble for 3 minutes, while continuously stirring.
- Once golden brown and thick, pour over saltines and spread evenly.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Cover caramel saltines with chocolate chips and let melt.
- Spread chocolate over caramel saltines until it's all melted and spread evenly.
- Let cool completely.
- Break or cut in pieces and serve.